weenie dog

The life and times as seen through the eyes of my "Weenie Dog" Heidi!

Thursday, June 09, 2005

Heidi, the early months

I got Heidi on October 7, '04. She was about 6 weeks old. I carried her around in a little basket with handles on it. I used a washcloth for her blanket. She weighed about 4 1/2 lbs.
She loved to bite from the first and her teeth were like razors. At least now she uses some restraint and seldom breaks the skin.
The first night I had her, she howled and missed her mother, daddy and her brothers, but her human chose to sell her. My heart went out to her as I watched her grieve for the only home she knew.
At first, she wouldn't cross the floor from carpet to tile. Within a couple of weeks she took care of that problem. Finally, she could even go in the utility room from carpet to concrete.
Soon she followed me from room to room, as she still does. She is my shadow.
I used to laugh and make fun of little dogs saying all they could do was chew on your ankles if they were used as watch dogs. It's not so funny now. She nips at my toes and ankles when she wants my attention and wants me to throw a ball or one of her monkeys. She loves her monkeys. One is long limbed and has a loud jungle call and the other looks like a baboon. The baboon is bigger than she is and it is funny to see her running with it.
She seldom uses her chew toys. She prefers to chew the furniture and pull fibers out of the carpet.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home