weenie dog

The life and times as seen through the eyes of my "Weenie Dog" Heidi!

Monday, September 12, 2005

BRONCO V SHINER BOCK

We had Bronco in the early 70's when the children were home.
We had Shiner Bock when it was just me and my husband.
Bronco was brought home by my daughter, if I recall. There was a litter born to a german shepherd mother and a doberman father in our neighborhood. The shepherd mother was not a large dog, but Bronco was a very large dog. He loved us with all his being. Unfortunately, he didn't love anybody else and we had to be ever alert when anyone else came around. The only exception was a little and very elderly lady who lived next door. He had no problems with her. When someone came by riding a bike or especialy a motorcycle, he tried to "ride" with him. This became such a problem, we had the law come by and talk to us. We were finally able to build a fence and keep him in.
One day, my husband was out barbequeing on the grill and got called to the phone. When he went back out, Bronco had snatched the steak off the grill and my husband chased him all over the yard trying to get it back. He gave a kick that Bronco dodged and almost crippled my husband. After that when we had meat scraps from the grill, I had to sweet talk Bronco into eating them. When I went out to feed Bronco, or care for him in any way, he usually put me on the ground in no time. He really was a big, long dog. He could peer out the window at the top of the front door when someone rang the doorbell and when he threatened them, and he did, he meant it.
Shiner Bock, Bock for short, was taken in by us after my son and daughter-in-law had buyer's regret, I suppose. I think he was about 3 months old when I first saw him hurling all over the driveway. The dog was a car sick dog and I couldn't load him in the car by myself, because he wasn't gonna go, no way. He was so gentle and laid back and only threatened people when they didn't pet him soon enough. When I realized I would have to move back to the city for awhile, I tried to sell Bock. One man already had him loaded into the back of his pickup and then couldn't find his checkbook. He unloaded him and never returned. A few days later, I had an A/C man out for repairs and he also had a pickup and Bock wouldn't go anywhere near it. He just knew I was gonna sell him again. Finally, when I had to leave home for awhile, my brother took him to the farm. One day, a calf was running along and Bock brought it down and my brother had to take off his belt and put it around his neck to pull Bock off the calf. If he had killed that calf, it would have been too wet to plow for sure.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home