weenie dog

The life and times as seen through the eyes of my "Weenie Dog" Heidi!

Sunday, October 16, 2005

Heidi goes to nursing home

I took Heidi to the nursing home when she was a baby, shivering in her little basket. Then I took her on a leash a few times, but the nurses would baby talk her and then have to mop up the floor.
So, yesterday, she went for the first time in a long, long time. She balked when she hit the tile floor and I had to carry her. She shivered uncontrollably. In Daddy's room, I put the loop of her leash under a chair leg. She was a big hit and got petted and picked up, etc. When I got up to step in the restroom, I noticed she was having absolute rigors. I picked her up and her whole chest and bottom was ice cold. Oh, how tender she is.
I took her out again this afternoon when my brother was there. I had to carry her again. She ignored my brother, although she has conniption fits when he comes to "her" house. One of the nurses stopped at the door of the room and she barked at her. My brother said she has "issues".
What amazes me is residents in the hall who have no expression on their faces and don't acknowledge when you speak to them, will come right up and touch her and talk to her.
The same thing happens when you take a baby out there. The residents come alive. Sad they don't have something like that to stimulate them every day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home